Thursday, May 22, 2008

DSLR Digital Quality and Medium Format Backs

I had the opportunity last night to attend a free seminar put on by Hasselblad. They were showing off their medium format digital cameras, backs and scanners. I went with no intention of purchasing a camera or digital back any time soon, fully aware of the astronomical prices you have to pay to own one of them.

You know they aim to impress when they put on a free seminar, feed you dinner and have an open bar for all attendees....

The main presentation was an overview of the new H3DII, as well as live model shoot showing what the camera could do. The presentation was a little lacking in finesse (the pre-show video featured a guy reading off a script he held in his hands, as if they threw it together that afternoon), but the camera seems amazing. I don't think there was anyone in the room who wasn't impressed with the sharpness of the close-ups of the model's face.


Click here to see a 100% crop of the model's face. Note all the little hairs on her face, as well as the little spots of makeup. Pretty impressive indeed. No sharpening done to the image; saved at 10 quality. This was taken by me on their 31 megapixel (MP) camera

I bought a pair of used 503CX/CW cameras 3-1/2 years ago along with four top quality Carl Zeiss lenses. I've been interested in shooting digital with it for my fine art and landscape shoots, as well as some commercial applications, but it's just been too expensive. But now I'm tempted to get the 16MP back that fits onto my 503 camera bodies. Not a lot more resolution than my 10MP Canon 1DMk3 (ok, 60% more, but a 21MP 1DsMk3 is $2000 less than the Hasselblad back), but the optics are far better than Canon's. Last night I think I was finally convinced that digital is better than film, in terms of dynamic range (how much detail can be retained in the highlights all the way down to the shadows) and sharpness. Still, a digital print will never be as fun to make as a gelatin silver print made in my darkroom!

No comments: