Thursday, September 1, 2011

Since 1989...


22 years as a professional photographer today. I still can't believe I'm able to do this and make a living.


I've shot in homeless shelters, and billionaires' offices; kings, queens, leaders of the free world, and leaders of the un-free world; sports stars and megastars; some of the most squalid homes on the planet, and some of the most sublime scenery known to man; thousands of good, decent people, and a few of the biggest losers ever; behind the scenes and in front of huge audiences; I've worn scrubs to shoot delicate surgeries, and stuck my head and camera out of small planes at 1000 feet. I've been privileged to play a large part in over one hundred couples' weddings and even photographed a funeral. I've made more than a few people look better than they really are.


I've bought twelve new cameras since 1989, and twenty-four camera lenses, from SLR (35mm) lenses to Schneider-Kreuznach 4x5" lenses, as well as three enlarger lenses. Thirty-one filters, one 5x7" enlarger, six portable flash units, eight studio flash units, five remote wireless triggers, and seven Macintosh computers.


When I started out, I told myself that I could always pack bags at the local grocery store if things didn't work out. I still don't feel like I have a real job. It's been a good life.Add Image


Add Image

No comments: