Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Processing RAW Images

Professional photographers talk about this subject a LOT, at least the ones I know.

Clients often ask why I don't just burn them a CD after a shoot and send it to them? Why do I charge extra for high resolution images? I came up with a web page that explains a little about what I do after a shoot is over. So far, the response has been good- most people didn't know there was so much extra work that goes on after a shoot. In the 'old days' of film, I'd drop off the color neg or transparency (slide) film at the lab, return in a day or two and see how they came out. If the pictures weren't quite right, there wasn't much I could do. Now with digital, we have the opportunity to tweak each image to perfection.

For the last six years, I've been using Canon's proprietary software to process my RAW images unto workable JPGs. Recently, with the encouragement of my friend Adam, who works for Adobe, I've been playing around with the new version of Adobe Lightroom a lot. I really like all the adjustments that can be made. It's powerful software and is especially good at bringing back highlight detail in a picture. it does a lot of things I like, as well as some I don't. I don't need the cataloging element, and it's taking me a long time to figure out how best to use it, but it looks like I may fully make the switch to Lightroom in the near future.

No comments: